Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Autumn Bread

***** Welcome all who are finding me through Gooseberry Patches Blog and or Facebook.  I am a proud winner of The Gooseberry Patch's Halloween book.  Make sure to leave me a comment or follow my blog.  I am planning on posting many more recipes.******

I just entered my recipe in the Safeway Stores Thanksgiving Recipe Challenge
http://apps.facebook.com/thanksgivingcontest/16241/contest_view_entry?&page_id=78143372410&app_id=163287927036679&id=238561 - please follow the link and vote for my recipe.  Thanks a bunch.
I have been baking this recipe for over 15 years now. It is one of the first recipes I make ever year when the weather cools and Autumn arrives. Yesterday was the pefect day to make it again and it turned our perfect.



As of this morning - I went from 3 loaves to 1 1/4 loaves.  My family and I just love this recipe and love Fall.

Everyone always asks for this one bowl recipe after their first taste. If you want to make this more old fashioned - bake the bread in greased/floured tin cans (coffee cans)- is a nice added touch. The white sugar covering is so tasty and added a wonderful sweetness and texture. It is beautiful fall colored and sparkled.

Go ahead and try it for yourself.

Autumn Bread

2/3 cup shortening


3 cups white sugar

4 eggs - well beaten

1 3/4 cups - canned pumpkin

2/3 cup - water

3 1/2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon cloves

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 coarsely chopped walnuts

(1 cup white sugar - to roll baked loaves in)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients - excluding nuts - beat until mixed well. Stir in the nuts. Add batter to greased and floured bread pans (3 medium or 2 large sized pans). Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean in the center of the loaf. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove from pan and roll the loaf in white sugar to coat. Cool completely and cut to serve.

I entered this recipe on the Gooseberry Patch website - I hope to win one of their great seasonal prizes.  Why don't you try to win to go to http://t.co/3WyrBFB .

5 comments:

  1. Yum, the recipe sounds good. Now that I have canned pumpkin, I will try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about instead of flouring your pans before baking, use sugar to "flour" the pan. Talk about some yummy added texture! Your photo is just beautiful and I certainly will be trying this one out. Thanks for sharing! ")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anonymous for the great idea. I will give that a try next time - it is worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this recipe sounds great! I love fall recipes with all their spices like nutmet, allspice, and ginger!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!! That bread looks amazing. What a great recipe for fall! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by Fishful Thinking Blog. I hope you learned something new and visit again soon.